This year marks the 18th anniversary observance of the events of September 11, 2001. The Flight 93 Memorial in Shanksville will open at 6:00 am on Wednesday, September 11.
The observance will begin at 9:45 at the Flight 93 Memorial Plaza. At 10:03 a.m. – the moment Flight 93 crashed – the names of the passengers and crew members will be read and the Bells of Remembrance will be rung in their memory. Afterward, a wreath will be placed at the Wall of Names. The ceremony will take place in a field and requires walking on mown grass and on uneven ground, so plan accordingly.
The observance program will include:
- River City Brass Band, Pittsburgh, PA
- Reverend Paul Britton, Families of Flight 93
- Gordon Felt, President of Families of Flight 93
- Mitchell Zuckoff, author of Fall and Rise: The Story of 9/11
- U.S. Secretary of the Interior David Bernhardt
- Vice President Mike Pence
There are shuttle buses that run from public parking areas to the Memorial Plaza from 6:15 am to 2:30 pm. Allow enough time to park and arrive by shuttle to the Memorial.
For complete information on this year’s September 11 Observance at the Flight 93 Memorial, CLICK HERE.