Summer hasn’t officially started, but we’ve already had temperatures near 90. When it’s hot we need to make sure we take care of ourselves, our families and friends. Here are some good guidelines to follow when temperatures rise.
- Never leave children or pets alone in your car.
- Drink plenty of fluids even if you don’t feel thirsty. Avoid drinks with caffeine or alcohol.
- Don’t eat big meals. It’s a better idea to eat small meals and eat more often.
- Avoid extreme temperature changes.
- Wear loose-fitting, lightweight, light-colored clothing to help keep yourself cool.
- Slow down, stay indoors and avoid strenuous exercise during the hottest part of the day.
- Take frequent breaks if you must work outdoors.
- Check on family, friends and neighbors who do not have air conditioning.
- Check on your animals frequently. Make sure they have access to water and shade.
For more info from the Red Cross, click HERE.